Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Volcano & Kelsey's Visit

Things have been a bit hectic over here because of the volcano! Fortunately, I did not have travel plans this past weekend- but Kelsey and Claire were supposed to come. Claire's flight got canceled and Kelsey was stuck in Paris for an extra three days! My mom was supposed to be here today but her flight was postponed until Sunday. Everyone is in the metro with suitcases because they are trying to get out of Paris!

This past weekend with Kelsey was fun. We picnicked in Parc Buttes Chaumont, which is one of the few parks in Paris where you can actually sit on the grass. The park was beautiful and massive. There was, randomly, a temple and waterfall in the middle of the park. After the picnic, we went to Le Marais and St. Germain to do a little shopping. On Sunday, we went to a flea market and farmer's market at Rue Aligre. On Monday night, Kels and I went to this Basque restaurant- Chez Gladines- which was PACKED at 7:30 pm (very early for the Parisians) on a Monday night. The food was delicious and cheap, which explained the crowds. We had basque chicken, a huge salad with ham, egg, potatoes, and cheese, and of course a caraffe of Sangria. Yeseterday, Kels and I went to Trocadero, which is the area across the river from the Eiffel Tower. It has an awesome view of the tower. We were in the area to try "one of the best chocolate eclairs in Paris". It was delicious, but it cost a pretty penny...
Me, Kelsey, Katherine w/ Picture of Claire (because she couldn't come) @ Waterfall in Parc Buttes Chaumont

Tourist season has finally arrived. The metro and streets are packed with American and Asian tourists. I've been trying to stay off the beaten path because I can't stand crowds. The weather is beautiful in Paris. Cherry blossom trees are blooming and there are tulips and daffodils everywhere. It is practically skirt weather, so I am looking forward to putting away my tights and and boots for a few months.
Cherry Blossom Trees!
Pretty Tulips near Luxembourg

Brianna and I bought tickets for Spring Break! We are going to Venice for a few days, then Greece (Santorini and Mykonos) for the rest of the week. Then, sadly, I leave Paris on the 3rd of June. Fortunately, classes end soon so I can soak up the rest of my time here in France!

No comments:

Post a Comment